Before we take the leap, here are a few stats to warm you up on how important the blog element is in your content marketing strategy:
- Buyers consume content before making a purchasing decision – in fact, 47% consumed 3-5 pieces of content before taking the first step towards making a purchase.
- 94% of people share blog content because they think it might be useful to other people.
- B2B marketers who use blogs as part of their content marketing mix get 67% more leads than those that don’t.
These stats make it clear to how critically important the blogs really are. Let’s move on to why you should use blogging as a marketing tactic.
1. It helps drive traffic to your website.
Every time you write a blog post, it’s one more indexed page on your website, which means it’s one more opportunity for you to show up in search engines and drive traffic to your website in organic search. Which also is one more cue to Google and other search engines that your website is active and they should be checking in frequently to see what new content to surface.
Blogging also helps you get discovered via social media. Every time you write a blog post, you’re creating content that people can share on social networks – Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Pinterest, which helps expose your business to a new audience that may not know you yet.
Your blog can serve as that repository of content. You’re strengthening your social reach with blog content and driving new website visitors to your blog via your social channels.
2. It helps convert that traffic into leads.
Now that you have traffic coming to your website through your blog, you have an opportunity to convert that traffic into leads.
Just like every blog post you write is another indexed page, each post is a new opportunity to generate new leads. The way this works is really simple, by adding a lead-generating call-to-action to every blog post.
Usually call-to-action lead to things like free eBooks, free whitepapers, free fact sheets, free webinars, free trials, any content asset for which someone would be willing to exchange their information.
To be super clear for anyone unfamiliar with how traffic-to-lead conversions work, it’s as simple as this:
- Visitor comes to website
- Visitor sees call-to-action for a free offer
- Visitor clicks call-to-action and gets to a landing page, which contains a form for them to fill in with their information
- Visitor fills out form, submits information, and receives the free offer
3.It helps establish authority
The best business blogs answer common questions their leads and customers have. If you’re consistently creating content that’s helpful for your target customer, it’ll help establish you as an authority in their eyes. This is a particularly handy tool for Sales and Service professionals.
Can you imagine the impact of sending an educational blog post you wrote to clear things up for a confused customer?
Once you have established authority, you will have loyal consumers who will listen to you and spread the word out. There isn’t a better way to promote your brand then word of mouth.
If you’re looking to start a business blog or get more investment for one you’ve already started, the reasons above are a great place to start arguing your case.
Start a blog right way if you do not have one and use it precisely keeping the following aspects in mind, it won’t take long for you to see the positive results.