While the rise of social media has greatly contributed towards the growth of digital marketing too, it has also paved the way for demography based marketing. We are sure that a lot of us will agree to that. As we take a look at some of the different tools available on social media, whether it is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest, we realize that they appeal to different age groups. One of the most popular additions to this ever growing list is Snapchat, which has become quite popular amongst the Millennial Generation. And why not? The ever active youngsters are always eager to share pictures and videos with the worlds.
Such is the popularity of Snapchat now that it has expanded from being used mainly by individual millennials to businesses. Well known brands have successfully used the app for different campaigns that have even gone viral, for example, Grubhub’s quest to find a summer intern. Big brands are beginning to use Snapchat as part of their marketing and advertising too.
So what exactly is Snapchat?
Snapchat is a video messaging application created by three Stanford University students: Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown. Users can take photos, record videos, add text and drawings, and send them to a controlled list of recipients through this application.
The unique thing about Snapchat is that photos and videos only last briefly before they disappear forever, making the app ephemeral in nature, though users can take a screenshot to save snaps but the sender will be notified when snapshots are taken. As of May 2014, the app’s users were sending 700 million photos/videos per day.
How does Snapchat work?
Experts have said that Snapchat is so simple that it can be confusing! The entire process of making a snap can be done within the app itself. One can literally take a photo or video, add text, filter images, or can even sketch on the message. Tap the large camera button to take a snap or hold down to record a video on the main screen. Once you’re finished, a preview screen will appear with options for customizing, adjusting length, sending the Snap, and more. The sender can set the time limit and also choose as many contacts as he or she wants to send the post to.
The receiver can view the post only twice before it gets deleted but he or she can take a snapshot of it.
Who are the users?
Snapchat has got 100 million daily active users making it one of the most important tools for digital marketing today. Most of the users are between 18-34 years of age and 69% of them are females.
Why use Snapchat for marketing?
Marketing experts know the power of the visual medium and hence have more often than not advised clients to use it for brand building. Snapchat specifically has a lot of advantages that sets it apart from other social networking sites. You can use it to the maximum to stay ahead of your competition. Here is how:
- Preview of products: Recently, the international brand, Burberry announced that it will premiere its spring 2016 collection via Snapchat. The brand, which has got Christopher Bailey as its chief executive and creative director, has set many examples in the digital space. Brands big or small should take inspiration from it and do the same for their products too. One can offer an exclusive speak peak into their products through Snapchat their contacts. The users that have added your brand as a friend will feel like privileged members of an elite club that got early access to the product. You can also showcase your earlier and existing products here. Just make sure to use the language that the audience can relate to.
- Live coverage of events: One of the best ways to promote an event of your brand or a brand you’re associated with is through live coverage. You can continuously upload videos or pictures or even Snapchat stories and keep sending them to your contacts. Since the time limit is small, it won’t get annoying for your contacts to store them.
Apart from live coverage of events, you can also post videos about your brand on a daily basis and even run a daily theme.
- Customer engagement through contents: Snapchat can be a great tool for customer engagement. Encourage customers to engage and get creative with your brand and you can do so by running contests on a regular basis. Coupons and offers always come with a time limit. With the limited time feature, you won’t have to explain why the offer has expired. Snapchat users will have an incentive to always remain up-to-date with the company account and their offers. You can also share promo codes that are quite popular these days.
- Behind the scenes coverage: Many times, audiences like want to know how a particular brand’s things are made and also the stories behind the scenes. They want more access and authenticity, and it is the duty of a brand to satisfy the demands of its customers. Use Snapchat to create that platform for you wherein you can share the inside stories of your brand and products that the customers are eager to know about thereby creating a brand connect. Create targeted messages or videos for special customers who would love to “take a peek” at the production process. Many brands have successfully used this in the past. You can also engage the customer by answering their queries through different videos.
- Snapchat Discover: One of the features introduced by the app in early 2015 is Discover where all Snapchat users can access branded content. It has teamed up with 12 news and content creators to provide daily updated content through the Discover page. Some of the partners include: Food Network, People, CNN etc. and they also have their own page. The content includes both videos and articles. Here the content creators can seek out third party advertisers. Though right now the usage is low, once it gets available for business, it’ll get popular.
In India, Snapchat has become quite popular with a lot of celebrities too preparing it. We at Unspun can assist you market your product the right way through Snapchat. Get connected!
Photo courtesy: Snapchat